sábado, 8 de abril de 2017

Of going from clueless to fearless to Google


Imagem relacionada
I had no clue.

In terms of technology in class, I believed that the most I could do was allow my students to use their phones to search the meaning of a word or to search information on a certain topic.
Little by little, I started to find out what more I could do for my students.




I started with Kahoot, an app which allows interactivity and it´s fun. But you use it once, twice, then it becomes boring. Becomes routine, which I despise! Not for me. Once or twice, fun. But then, what else?

So I decided to research more.

I started Googling (I love the new word) everything related to edtech. And I Googled some more. I kept Googling. I Googled my ass off. Then the answer came to me: Google!


Google

I found an article by Clarissa Bezerra, who is an inspiration for me, about how they are using Google Classroom to develop their students' writings at Casa Thomas Jefferson, a binational center in Brasilia. That was mind blowing for me: no more paper? Students typing their compositions?

I needed that. ASAP!

To my utter surprise, I found ou that Google Classroom was available here in Brazil. I went into deep research as to how I could run it in the binational center I work for.

Resultado de imagem para scared womanBut the problem is, would they like it? Would my peers like to shift their entire culture of traditional teaching to edtech?
I was fearful.

But I strapped a pair on, and talked to my directors. To back me up, I´d called a Google Educator from my city to come and talk a little more about Google for Education for us, and she was more than helpful, she completely sold the idea that our institution couldn´t survive without this app.
Yes! They bought it! 
Now,  what? I had to start the process of setting it up, all by myself, and I still needed to find out how it worked, and find out how to sell the ideas to my fellow teachers, and with a very limited knowledge of technology, and I had my students to teach, classes to plan, assignments to correct. I was starting to get overwhelmed.

I was fearful again.
Then I said to myself, get that pair on, and get going! No room for fear. I signed up, and started the process.
At first, my board of directors didn´t really get what the app worked for: how are we going to use tech in our classrooms? Are we letting students use their phones and that´s it? How will it work?

I was bold: I told them to trust me. Sweat running down my back, I held on to my ground and kept going. Will it work? These questions kept coming back, every day I took one step forward, I asked myself: will it work?

I then finished the entire process of setting it up. Thankfully, Google support team helped me every step of the way, for I  had many many doubts, and they even helped me expand my tech skills.

Now I am about to get my Google Educator Certification, I have my eyes on becoming a Google Innovator. I am very proud to say that I took the initiative to implement the Google for Education learning culture, and that I tried to make the lives of my students and my fellow teachers, along with mine, better.

Resultado de imagem para superwomanI am continually trying to get my peers to see the world in a digital way. I am not going to give up. I am fearless now.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário

Comente, compartilhe suas ideias, reclame, bote pra fora!

Of TXD: Teacher Experience Design